Detection of Carbapenem Resistant Acinetobacter: From Clinical Samples

  • Naheed Afshan

Abstract

Acinetobacter has appeared from an organism of uncertain pathogenecity towards an infectious agent.
Among nonfermenting bacterium A. baumannii is the second-most-commonly-isolated organisms in
human. The fast intensify of their resistance to antibiotics, especially global emergence and extend
of Acinetobacter strains resistant to carbapenem more restricted the therapeutic alternatives. In this
study we evaluate the % of resistivity of Acinetobacter against carbapenem antibiotics at Jinnah
University for Women, Karachi. Total 439 isolates of Acinetobacter were collected from different
clinical samples of hospitalized patients from January to December 2013, identified by standard
microbiological methods. Antibiograms were done on Mueller-Hinton agar plates with disk diffusion
method (Kirby Bauer method). Disc tested: Meropenem (10 μg/disk). The results were interpreted
according to the Guidelines of the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute. (CLSI). Among 439
samples, 300 (68.3%) samples were resistant to Meropenem and the remaining that is 139 (31.7%)
showed sensitivity to the drugs. In underdeveloped countries including Pakistan the contentment of
multidrug resistance and their dissemination in Acinetobacter species is not a simple task. While
multiple drug resistance is increasing in this pathogen, and carbapenem conflict is quickly spreading
which may become a major threat in future. So in Pakistan needs detail and organized data about
carbapenem resistant Acinetobacter in order to understand the existence of Acinetobacter in our
community and to manage almost certainly outbreaks because we have less information according
to resistance trends of Acenetobacter.

Published
2011-06-13